Virtual learning in the Silicon Savannah
Learners are ideally placed to transition to a virtual learning environment given that Kenya is hailed as the Silicon Savannah that enjoys technological advantages within the East Africa region. The Communications Authority of Kenya estimates the mobile phone penetration rate at 116% of the population, with 22 million subscriptions having mobile broadband. Furthermore, there are 39.3 million data/internet subscriptions in Kenya that translates to an internet penetration rate of 83%.
Several million university students were recently faced with a suboptimal learning environment which, in itself was disruptive, but circumstance paved the way for distance learning in tertiary schools to flourish..
E-Learning is becoming increasingly popular in Kenya due to several factors.
Many learners are taking advantage of the quality, convenience, and affordability offered by e-learning solutions.
Educational institutions have also adopted this platform since it promotes a more versatile learning approach that suits the individual learner’s needs and pace.
It is easier for students to learn from home or in other remote areas to access a computer.
Students can also learn at their own pace, and;
they do not have to spend money on the cost associated with traveling daily to school.
In our June 2022 East African Survey a number of positive trends in the Online Learning were seen to be emerging, all indicating a large shift towards positive attitudes and development processes within the Industry.
Here are a selection of the most common observations and perceptions: .
I. E-Learning is convenient; it enables you to learn anytime from anywhere, just as long as there’s an Internet connection. It is also flexible as you can study at your own pace, which means you can take courses in fits and spurts
2. It is affordable and cost-effective; most online learning solutions are cheaper than regular physical schools since there aren’t any real estate costs or expenses related to maintaining a physical school building.
3. You get quality education; the best way to guarantee the quality of your education is to go online.
4. The high standards and qualifications required by schools and online learning institutions ensure that you attain the required knowledge and develop practical skills.
5. Learning online is faster than studying in a regular school; with e-learning, you can learn from the comfort of your home, without traffic or travel delays. E-learning also helps you to save time and resources, especially if you work full time or live far away from the school.
6. Online learning can be more flexible than physical schools; with virtual classes, students can customize their online learning program, which means they learn only what is required for the course they chose. This saves them money and time.
7. Online learning encourages teamwork; with online courses, students can connect easily and collaborate on projects. Many e-learning solutions offer team learning where you can connect with other learners worldwide for group discussions or combine resources to work on assignments.
8. You have access to a global community; many online courses encourage cross-collaboration and networking between learners from different countries. This allows you to learn from others and share your skills with people from other cultures and backgrounds. You can also build a strong network of contacts that may be useful in future job opportunities.
9. Online learning is convenient for working professionals; many online courses are designed so that they can fit into your busy schedule. Many offers accelerated learning where you can learn while working, and they also offer virtual study groups.
10 Online learning is flexible; if it’s difficult for you to attend lectures or group forums in real-time, then e-learning can be the solution since most online courses allow students to catch up on missed classes and assignments online. You can complete your online assignments and tests anytime as long as you have an Internet connection.
11. Online learning makes it easy to manage your finances; unlike physical schools, online schools offer flexible payment schedules. Students can set aside a few dollars each month to pay for their courses easily and conveniently. This is especially important if you are self-employed or employed part-time since you can spread your payments over a longer period.
12.Online learning encourages environmental sustainability; the best way to protect the environment while improving your education is by going virtual. Online classes don’t require paperwork or printing materials, and since there aren’t many students per teacher, these costs are also reduced. And we all know how much pollution is caused by plastic bags!
13. Online learning opens up more job opportunities; the flexibility of virtual learning means that you can continue your education and work simultaneously. This makes it easier for professionals to develop their skills to progress in their careers or start a new one while pursuing higher qualifications. You’ll also be able to find jobs with greater ease since most employers and recruiters consider e-learning an advanced method of education.
14. You have access to the latest technology; online schools invest in high-quality technology, ensuring that you learn using modern equipment.
15. Many e-learning solutions also provide students with a lifelong online membership to continue their studies even after college graduation!
16. Online courses are just as effective as physical school programs; colleges and universities offer online courses and degree programs in various fields, including business administration, IT, technology, marketing, finance, and accounting.
17. Online schools are recognized worldwide; online degrees will open up more opportunities for you to study abroad because of the recognition given to online degrees by universities across the globe.
18. Online learning is environmentally friendly; e-learning does not produce any waste, which means that we can protect our planet better while improving our education simultaneously! We’re investing in your future! .